FAQs for Short Term Rentals in Crested Butte

Gibsons Ridge

Vacation/Short Term Rentals in Crested Butte – Frequently Asked Questions

1. When do the rules go into effect? Zone district limitations, the 30% cap, and the
nontransferable license clause are now in effect. The 30% cap has been reached at this time and
no new Unlimited Licenses are being issue for the remainder of the year. However, Primary
Residence Licenses are available now. The new license types, fees and inspection regimen will
become effective January 1st, 2018.

2. What types of licenses are there for vacation rentals?

    Unlimited License

– Owners can obtain a license within the 30% cap of eligible
residential units in town. The fees are still being established, but will most likely be
between $500 – $1,000 per year. The fee is non-refundable.

    Primary Residence License

– This license can be obtained for a home that serves as a
primary residence of the property owner. This type of license is limited to no more
than 60 nights of rental use per year. These can be located in any zone district that
allows for primary residences. The fees are still being established, but will most likely
be between $500 – $750 per year. The fee is non-refundable.

3. In what zones are Unlimited vacation rentals permitted? They are permitted in R1, R1A,
R1C, R1D, R1E, R2, R2C, R3C, B3, and B4 zone districts. Provided that the number of
vacation rentals shall at all times be limited to 30% of the total free market residential units
cumulatively in such districts. Primary Residence Vacation rentals beyond the 30% limit will
be issued if the rental also serves as the primary residence of the property owner. This type of
license shall be limited to no more than 60 nights of rental use per year. Primary residences
may apply for an unlimited license in which case they will be subject to the 30% of free market
residential unit limitation.

4. What if my home is in a zone not listed above in question #3? Unlimited vacation rentals
are not permitted in the R1B, R4, R2A, B1, B2, M, T, C, AO and P zones. If the unit serves as
your primary residence, it is eligible for a Primary Residence License. This type of license is
limited to no more than 60 nights of rental use per year.

5. What if I have an existing vacation rental in one of the zones mentioned in #4?
Grandfathered licenses can continue to operate so long as you continue to own and rent the
property. Owners must purchase a new license each year.

6. I currently have a business license for short term rentals, do I need to do anything to keep
it? Yes, your current license is only a business license. Owners need to apply for a Vacation
Rental and Business license for 2018. This is a two-year rolling license that is renewed
annually. We anticipate the license process to open up in October/November of 2017.

7. If I purchase a home that is an existing vacation rental, does that mean that I am able to
use it as such? No, licenses are non-transferable and the new owner will need to apply for a
new license.

8. My property is historic and I do not have any parking, will this negate me from obtaining
a license or future owners from obtaining a license? Properties that are historic without
approved parking or projects that have been approved through BOZAR without parking will be
allowed to continue to have a license or obtain an available license for vacation rentals without
providing parking. Properties that have approved parking must prove that the parking is
maintained and accessible at all times.

9. Are there homes in which vacation rentals are not allowed? Vacation rentals are not
permitted in any property that is subject to a deed restriction, covenant or other Town
restriction or requirement regarding occupancy, bed and breakfasts, condo hotels, hotels,
lodges, motels or short-term residential accommodations.

10. If I don’t get a license and choose to vacation rent my property, what are the
repercussions? If a license is not obtained and a property is being rented, the property will
have a two year suspension for eligibility to apply for a license. Also, this violation may result
in a summons to Municipal Court or assess a fine of up to $1,000 per day. The Town could
place a lien against the property for unpaid sales tax.

11. Is there any type of monitoring or inspection that I might need to know about? Yes, the
property must be inspected by the Town Vacation Rental Inspector for compliance with the
Vacation Rental provisions in Chapter 6, Article 6, and Code Section 16-6-40 of the Crested
Butte Municipal Code, beginning in 2018 and biannual thereafter. In addition, within 14 days
prior to the issuance or renewal of your license, the Town is required to notify adjacent real
property owners within 100 feet of your property and take public comment regarding
neighborhood impacts of your vacation rental property.

12. What happens if complaints are registered against my property? The Town Vacation
Rental Inspector will contact you regarding the nature of the complaints and talk with you
about steps that can be taken to rectify any problems that need attention. When problems are
not rectified, it is possible for the license to be revoked.

13. If there are no more unlimited licenses available, can I get a primary residence license
and be on the waiting list for an unlimited license? Yes, so long as the property serves as
your primary residence and you are in a zone allowing unlimited rentals.

14. What qualifies as a Primary Residence? A residence which is the usual place of return for
housing as documented by the vested title property owner of record signing an affidavit to that
affect and providing at least two of the following: motor vehicle registrations, driver’s license,
Colorado state identification card, voter registration or tax documents. A person can have only
one primary residence.

15. Can I get a vacation license to hold in case I might want to rent my house some day?
Licenses must be renewed annually, an annual business license must be obtained, the
residence must be inspected, and applicable sales taxes and fees must be paid.

16. What if my property fails inspection? Dependent on the nature of the violations at the time
of the inspection, applicants will have an identified timeframe to rectify the issues.

17. Is there a maximum occupancy? The maximum occupancy of any vacation rental property is
10 people. Occupancy may be adjusted following physical inspection of the vacation rental
property. The basis for the occupancy determination shall be an allowance of two occupants
per legitimate bedroom plus two additional occupants. Any increase above 10 people in a
vacation rental property shall include an on-site parking space for each four additional
occupants (or part thereof) in addition to any parking required per the code.

18. Under what circumstances can the Town revoke my vacation rental license? Failure to
rectify issues identified during the property inspection; failure to timely renew the annual
license; failure to file and pay sales tax and repeated complaints, which would be done by the
Town Vacation Rental Inspector.

19. What does it mean to have my vacation rental license revoked? Your property can no
longer be used for vacation rentals and you may not apply for a new license for 2 years.

20. How do I get on the Unlimited license waiting list? When an application for an unlimited
license is denied due to cap limit, you will automatically be placed on the waiting list in the
order in which your application was received.